Prickly Pear Cactus Candy is our most popular prickly pear food item. The sugar coated squares are similar to a gum drop like consistency. In general most people say this candy tastes like a cross between watermelon, bubble gum, and lemon. But it's really hard to describe what it tastes like....it's like describing what a kiwi friuit tastes like!
This single serving sampler size is made with real prickly pear juice right and made right here in Arizona!
Sold In Case Quantities of 30.
Some additional interesting information:
According to Sebastian Velez, Associate of the Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University and project team member of Life on Earth, a collaborative National Science Foundation-funded project:
- There are about 200 species of prickly pear cactus.
- The Indian Fig prickly pear is grown for food in Mexico and many other places.
- Its large fruits are called tunas and taste like very sweet watermelon. (see third small photo below main photo above)
- Instead of having thick, long [green] stems, these cacti have flat, paddle-shaped stems.
- Young [green] paddles are also eaten.
- They taste like tart green beans.